Dec 10, 2012

How do you think I married Twinkle?


-- Manju Latha Kalanidhi

Khiladi Kumar Akshay and 100 crore heroine Asin were in Hyderabad on Tuesday for the promotion of their new movie ‘Khiladi 786’



His ‘Khiladi’ tag – ‘Main Anari Tu Khiladi’ in 1992 was my first big hit and media gave me the tag of ‘Khiladi Kumar’. Of course, then Asin must have been in ‘Class I’. Now she has grown up to be my co-star. Luckily, Khiladi means a player and that is what I am – a sportive player. Most of my other movies also, by coincidence, had Khiladi in the title – ‘Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi’, ‘Khiladi 420’ and now the latest as well. I enjoy being known by that tag. 

About the 100 crore club : Yes, all of us are under the pressure to hit the magic figure. Even making Rs 99 crore doesn’t seem to work. Nahi chalega says the media. I have the pressure of the film on me until Monday. After that I move on and go about signing my next movie.

About being a prankster on and offscreen: I love pulling other’s legs, especially if it is a leggy lass like Asin. One day after the shoot of ‘Khiladi 786’, we went to a restaurant for dinner. I sneaked in a lot of stuff like butter, sugar packets, a handful of knives and forks into Asin’s bag. Then I even told the waiter to che ckher bag as I suspected she was pilfering stuff. One must have seen Asin’s face. It was hilarious. She kept on saying she hasn’t picked up any of it. 

About working with south directors: I’ve worked in 120 movies till now and nearly half are with south directors. It is nice to work with them because they wrap films fast, know their job well and of course have given me hits. I get to learn a lot from them. 
About watching Telugu movies: I watch them whenever I have to work in a remake!

About working in multiple movies in a year: It is very easy to work in at least four films a year. Typically, a movie does not take more than 60 days. So even if I give myself a 30-day break, it is possible for an actor to work on at least three movies a year. So no big deal if I work in many movies a year.

About his lean, mean look: I have been maintaining my weight for the last 28 years. That is the reason, as most of the media persons here said, I look young and fit. 

About his first love cooking: Yes, I love cooking. I was a chef in Thailand and cooked samosa, chole bature, jalebi etc. How do you think Twinkle married me? I cooked for her and she fell head over heels with me. 

Asin on why she is not doing Telugu movies
Her role in the movie: I play Indu Tendulkar, a Mahrastrian girl who is a rough and tough girl. She can pack in a punch and I am the sister of Mithunda in the movie. 

About returning to Tollywood: I am evolving with each movie and it is important to do different and unique roles every time. What is the point in doing same kind of roles and boring the public and finally being called a flop star? I am looking forward to a dhamaka movie in Telugu. I hope someone casts me soon. I will never forget that ‘Amma Nanna Tamil Ammayi’ was the movie that gave me a break in movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment